The Soundtracks of my life (Top 10 cds)

by Kevin on February 27, 2009

As i drove on the 50 States in 50 Days tour…..i listened to alot of music. Jill and I spent hours and hours driving, and the music we listened to became the soundtrack for the tour. I love how a song can take you back to a specific moment in time. You feel it. You taste it. You smell it.
       A song can take me back to better times, or sad times.
      Yesterday, while trying to learn how to use this blog in a fun and productive way….i stumbled onto the Amazon Affiliate program. When i dug further into i found a cool way to recommend records that i loved through Amazon.
        You will find alot of Jackson Browne, Jimmy Webb, and Aimee Mann in my selections. They are my favorite singer-songwriters. I believe Jackson is the most incredible lyric writer of our time. Most people know him for “Running on Empty”-which is great, but doesn’t show his incredible ability to write inciteful, emotional, poetic lyrics.
       One of my favorite things to do is to get together with a group of friends with refreshments, and a cd player, or ipods, and basically, have people play their favorite songs. I love it.
So, grab a drink, and enjoy my favs.

What are your top 10 favorite cds of all-time? I need to hear some new music, so comments are welcome!

{ 44 comments… read them below or add one }

Rush- Moving Pictures
Lemonheads- It’s a Shame About Ray
Yes- Fragile
Rob Szabo- Like a Metaphor
Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Kevin March 4, 2009 at 5:02 pm

REM for sure…….Wilco, yes…………and ahhh, my secret pleasure……..Rush. Don’t know Todd Burge?
More please? Kevin

Kevin March 4, 2009 at 10:02 am

More please? Kevin

John Radcliff March 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Todd is the guy that recorded you when you played here. He’s really the driving force behind the songwriter scene. I credit him with getting me started in acoustic music.

I try to ignore the fact that I learned how to play guitar because of the hair metal explosion of the early 80’s. But it’s true.

Naming those bands doesn’t get my heart racing like thinking about the first time I listened to REM or the Police. Now there’s a band that I really shouldn’t have left off the list! How do I not site Andy Summers as an influence? My secret pleasure is The Fixx. Side two of Shuttered Room at top volume is a lot of fun, and got me through many road trips!!

John Radcliff March 6, 2009 at 6:42 am

Kevin March 6, 2009 at 1:52 pm

John,
I saw The Fixx in Nashville when i was about 15. I’m not sure that i would mention them now!
Yes, i went through the heavy metal phase as well…………i would like to forget it.
But, i have to admit that i bought some Iron Maiden tracks on Itunes in the past year!
Kevin

Kevin March 6, 2009 at 6:52 am

John,
Yes, i went through the heavy metal phase as well…………i would like to forget it.
Kevin

Kevin March 9, 2009 at 11:35 am

Fabian,
You’ve inspired me to seek out some more Nils Lofgren…..Kevin

Kevin March 9, 2009 at 4:35 am

Fabian,
You’ve inspired me to seek out some more Nils Lofgren…..Kevin

Neil Newton March 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Darn it ! – I now have to spend some money on that Jackson Brown acoustic record… I’ve got all the others but not that one… My only brush with heavy metal was when Steve Harris (Iron Maidens bass player – and a really nice guy) took some of our bands promo photo shots at his house (Waaaay back when). He was going on tour afterwards to pay for a new swimming pool – that’s Rock n’ Roll.. As for 10 fave CD’s – I just couldn’t do it… The Eagles alone would take up over half, Bruce the rest – and I would still have to put in Guy Clark, John Prine, Steve Earle and , of course Jackson….
So much music – so little time….

Neil Newton March 24, 2009 at 9:34 am

So much music – so little time….

Kevin Montgomery April 2, 2009 at 1:17 am

I forgot about Bruce! Kevin

Kevin Montgomery April 1, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I forgot about Bruce! Kevin

Andrea April 2, 2009 at 1:35 am

Nils Lofgren is one of the nicest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. I love his “Acoustic Live” album.

My top 10 are (in no particular order):
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, “Live 75/85” (or maybe “Tunnel of Love”)
2. Kelly Willis, “What I Deserve”
3. Patty Griffin, “Impossible Dream”
4. Will Hoge, “Carousel” (Or maybe “Draw the Curtain”)
5. Ani Difranco, “Living in Clip”
6. Lucinda Williams, “Car Wheels on a Gravel Road”
7. Mike Ireland & Holler, “Learning How to Live”
8. Allison Moorer, “The Hardest Part”
9. Lyle Lovett, “The Road to Ensenada”
10. James Taylor, “Sweet Baby James”

That list could change tomorrow.

Andrea April 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm

My top 10 are (in no particular order):
2. Kelly Willis, “What I Deserve”
3. Patty Griffin, “Impossible Dream”
4. Will Hoge, “Carousel” (Or maybe “Draw the Curtain”)
5. Ani Difranco, “Living in Clip”
6. Lucinda Williams, “Car Wheels on a Gravel Road”
7. Mike Ireland & Holler, “Learning How to Live”
8. Allison Moorer, “The Hardest Part”
9. Lyle Lovett, “The Road to Ensenada”
10. James Taylor, “Sweet Baby James”

That list could change tomorrow.

Kevin April 2, 2009 at 1:37 am

Andrea,
Yes, that is what i’ve heard about Nils. “Live 75 to 85 is why i do what i do. I can’t believe i missed that on my list………i found “No Surrender” on that record……….Kevin

Kevin April 1, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Bruce Sringsteen & E Street – Live in New York

Carl Laes April 2, 2009 at 5:29 am

Top Ten List
(all time best cd’d)

1.Neil Young Unplugged / or Harvest Moon

2. Steve Forbert / Alive on Arrival

3. Todd Snider / Bootleg from Green Bay show 03,,,while writing for East Nashville Skyline

4, Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps

5, Fleetwood Mac Tusk

6, Jackson Late For The Sky

7. Emmy Lou Harris Stumble into Grace

8, The band / The Last Waltz

9, Beatles / Let It Be

10, The Doors / The Doors

Andrea April 3, 2009 at 1:24 am

I went into the record store one day, kind of interested in checking out this Springsteen guy and the sales guy shoved “Live 75/85” & “Tunnel of Love” in my hands. My life has never been the same.

Andrea April 2, 2009 at 6:24 pm

LEADBELLY The definitive
TOM WAITS Mule variations
JOHNNY CASH Unearthed
HANK WILLIAMS The complete

Kevin April 3, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Carlton,
Yes, Harvest Moon in Incredible……..”Unknown Legend” is one of my favs.
Fredrik, townes was one of the greats……….Dylan…………lovely.
Kevin

Kevin April 3, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Carlton,
Yes, Harvest Moon in Incredible……..”Unknown Legend” is one of my favs.
Fredrik, townes was one of the greats……….Dylan…………lovely.
Kevin

Malcolm April 6, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I went to see Jackson Browne in Glasgow last week and he was utterly fantastic….unfortunately though he does not make it into my top ten:

1. Bonnie Prince Billy- I see a darkness

6. Beirut- The Flying Club cup
7. Smog- Knock Knock
8. Talking Heads- Remain in Light
9. Scott Walker- Scott
10. Silver Jews- Tanglewood Numbers

Gene Klosner April 7, 2009 at 3:58 am

Hey, Kev! Great list! That Jimmy Webb Ten Easy Pieces is on my top ten as well. And I have every Jackson Browne CD there is. Love those acoustic versions… just wish I’d’ve been able to see that tour.
Glad you told me about this feature too, since we’re involved in the Amazon Advantage program too.

Gene Klosner April 6, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Stevie April 7, 2009 at 8:10 pm

10? Just 10? There are hundreds on the wall to my right. Too many years of a bad habit. But here goes.

Billy Joel – Glasshouses

The first album I ever owned.

Sugarland – Love On The Inside

It Happens provided a whole new way to get through the crappy days.

Dave Matthews Band – Live at Red Rocks

Okay, so it’s technically 8 albums but there’s genus in there.

Red Hot Chilli Pipers – Bagrock to the Masses

Not a typo, a group of pipers from Scotland. Anyone who can play Rockin All Over The World on the pipes gets my vote.

Bruce Springsteen – Nebraska

On the last 3 tours the stand out song has been a reworked song from here. Open All Night (Seeger Sessions), Reason To Believe (Magic) & Johnny 99 (current).

The Proclaimers – Sunshine on Leith

500 Miles has become an anthem for the world.

Lloyd Dobler Effect – Lloyd Dobler Effect

Named after a character from a John Cusack movie. Absolutely brilliant album.

Nick Kelly – Between Trapezes

Some of the best lyrics ever written. Plus the closing lies of the last track mirror the start of the first.

Saw Doctors – If This Is Rock n Roll Can I Have My Old Job Back?

Great title, great cover and THE best lyric to ever open an album: “I have fallen for another she can make her own way home”

Del Amitri – Change Everything

Bitter. Twisted. Glasgow’s finest.

Give me 5 minutes and I’ll change half of these, but you wanted some suggestions. There’s some good song to sing in these albums.

Stevie April 7, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Billy Joel – Glasshouses

The first album I ever owned.

Sugarland – Love On The Inside

It Happens provided a whole new way to get through the crappy days.

Dave Matthews Band – Live at Red Rocks

Okay, so it’s technically 8 albums but there’s genus in there.

Red Hot Chilli Pipers – Bagrock to the Masses

Bruce Springsteen – Nebraska

The Proclaimers – Sunshine on Leith

500 Miles has become an anthem for the world.

Lloyd Dobler Effect – Lloyd Dobler Effect

Named after a character from a John Cusack movie. Absolutely brilliant album.

Nick Kelly – Between Trapezes

Saw Doctors – If This Is Rock n Roll Can I Have My Old Job Back?

Del Amitri – Change Everything

Bitter. Twisted. Glasgow’s finest.

Neil Newton April 8, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Went and brought the Jackson Brown acoustic albums on the strength of all these opinions… wow ! they are both great and would now definitely put them on the list. I always thought he was mainly a piano player but boy!.. He plays guitar every way I’ve always wanted to… I’ve got tickets to the Royal Albert hall gig on Easter Sunday.. Hope I can get close enough to pick up some tips !!!…. Every time someone posts here I feel bad that I forgot someone else who should have gone on the list… !!

Neil Newton April 8, 2009 at 6:22 am

Don Vallance April 9, 2009 at 2:02 pm

J. D. Souther, The Flying Burritos and Poco .

Don Vallance April 9, 2009 at 7:02 am

J. D. Souther, The Flying Burritos and Poco .

Daran October 14, 2010 at 9:52 pm

In no particular order;

Jellyfish – Bellybutton.

Til Tuesday – Welcome Home. (Really! I’ve loved Aimee Mann since day one.)

Prefab Sprout – Steve McQueen (It was called Two Wheels Good in the States after a lawsuit from his estate.)

Blondie – Parallel Lines

Eg & Alice – 24 Years Of Hunger (the best album ever about being single in an British city but no one has ever heard of it.)

Kings Of Convenience – Riot On An Empty Street (just so, so beautiful.)

Deacon Blue – Raintown

Fleetwood Mac – Tusk

Everything But The Girl – Walking Wounded

David Grey – White Ladder.

Those are mine, hope you like them.

kevinmontgomery October 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Love the “Welcome Home” record……..Aimee Mann when she was making emotional records……

Daran B October 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Wow, Kevin. I didn’t think you’d reply that quickly! Welcome Home was released around the same time as I met my first real girlfriend, so will always have a fond place in my heart. But I agree with about Aimee, it would be nice if she cheered up once in awhile. But the track ‘Freeway’ was the best thing she’s done in a very long time.

Daran B October 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm

kevinmontgomery October 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I haven’t heard the “Freeway” song……..will have to seek it out. And, yes, i’m quick.