I love to drive, listen to music, and zone out. At times it seems like the only time I can get away from the other distractions, and truly let my mind roam free. I particularly love driving at night.
I do alot of nighttime driving on the 50 States in 50 Days tours that I do annually. Music keeps me thinking.
Los Angeles is a great nighttime driving city…….especially when a marine layer has fallen over the city.
The following are songs that have accompanied me on many nights like that.
- “Little Past Little Rock” by Lee Ann Womack-I love this song. The baritone guitar gets me. I sing along and wish Lee Ann had asked me to sing on this song instead of “Why the River Runs”……really, I wish she would ask me to sing on all her records.
- “Downtown Lights” by Blue Nile-I became a fan of Blue Nile YEARS ago, and this song still holds up.
- “Still Within the Sound of My Voice” by Linda Rondstadt (written by Jimmy Webb)-great for wide open desert driving, too.
- “Secret Garden” by Bruce Springsteen-very moody. Dig it.
- “Please Forgive Me” by David Gray
- “Washington Square” by Counting Crows-Jill Jackson and I listened to this song alot on last year’s 50 States in 50 Days tour.
- “Sullivan Street” by Counting Crows-One of my all-time favorite songs. Maria McKee absolutely kills me with her background part……very haunting, and urgent.
- “The Song Remembers When” by Trisha Yearwood (written by Hugh Prestwood)-this song has to be one of the best songs ever written……..”and I wept in the arms of Jesus for the choice you made”……the way Trisha phrases “choice” kills me. Matt Rollings’ piano playing on this song is astounding.
- “Mary” by Patti Griffin-moving, haunting……reminds me of my sweet grandmother.
- “Family Affair” by Abra Moore-Abra had one song a few years ago that really got me, and then she disappeared. I found her on itunes and downloaded this song after a quick listen. A couple of years ago when I was touring France it was literally ALL I listened to as I drove………very haunting.
post with your friends.
What are your Top 10 late night driving songs? Need some ideas for the May UK/Netherlands tour.